UPDATED FROM ORIGINAL POST: 2010/08 - 1957 Toronto's chum am 1050 khz becomes ...
CANADIAN COMMUNICATIONS FOUNDATION
THIS SITE CONTAINS A COMPLETE CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF CHUM ALONG WITH LINEUPS.
CANADIAN COMMUNICATIONS FOUNDATION
SITE LINK: http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index3
CLIP FROM THE SITE:
Ontario, City of Toronto
CHUM-AM, Toronto, CTVglobemedia
LINK TO SITE: http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index31944
York Broadcasters Ltd. was incorporated October 2. The company was then issued a licence by the Department of Transport to operate a new 1,000 watt radio station in Toronto, to be designated as CHUM. Around the same time, the company announced that R.T. Fulford was elected president and Al Leary, managing director of the new station. Fulford was president of C.E. Fulford Ltd. Leary had been manager of CKCL Toronto for 14 years.
CHUM's construction was delayed by a freeze on the building of new stations and the purchase of new equipment by the Department of Munitians & Supply, because of the shortage of certain materials needed for the prosecution of war. Before the freeze, CHUM's new transmitter was packed and all ready to ship by Western Electric.
Managing director Al Leary announced in September that the new 1,000 watt CHUM would begin broadcasting in late October or the first week of November. CHUM would be the only Toronto area station operating on 60 cycles and would use the 1050 kHz frequency. The station would be operated by York Broadcasters Ltd., operated by Toronto businessmen R.T. Fulford (president), J.H.Q. Part, Al Leary and E.A. Byworth. Staff at this point would include Sgt. Dick MacDougall, formerly of CKCL and CFRB, and Dunc Chisholm, D.F.M., formerly with the R.C.A.F., and often heard on Air Force radio. Leary said it would be station policy to engage as many servicemen as possible. Plans were being made to establish a news department with an experienced reporter to cover important local happenings. Mayor Saunders would broadcast a half-hour talk on community affairs each Sunday. Jack Part was in the patent medicine business. He wanted a radio licence so he could promote the sale of his products.
Dick Dickinson joined the announce staff of CHUM from the Department of Transport (Radio Branch). He broke into the business at CHNC (New Carlisle, QC) and was then transferred from the technical staff to CKNB (Campbellton, NB) as chief announcer and studio engineer (before moving to CHUM).
CHUM Radio began broadcasting on October 28. Howard B. Chase of the CBC Board of Governors (to retire on November 15) spoke to the audience in the opening broadcast. He said, "The great duty of the privately owned stations is to provide service to their own special community, and it was for this reason that station CHUM was licensed". Mayor Robert Saunders also addressed the audience on opening day as well.
The daytime only station operated on a frequency of 1050 kHz with a power of 1,000 watts. Studios and offices were on the top floor of the Hermant Building at 21 Dundas Square. The transmitter site was on Lot 5, Concession 3, east of Yonge Street (south-east corner of Don Mills Road and Lawrence Avenue East), North York Township, York County. One 233 foot tower was used. CHUM - "The Friendly Station" - was owned and operated by York Broadcasters Ltd. CHUM was Toronto's fifth radio station and the first new station for the city, of the post-war era.
Programming in the early days consisted of a popular weekly report from the city's mayor, two daily live musical programs; a breakfast routine with such personalities as Monty Hall and Larry Mann, and a noon-hour country and western show known as the Danforth Radio Show. Dick MacDougal was CHUM's first announcer and program director.
Announcer Wally Hopper left CHUM.
CHUM established its own merchandising division. The department put out a monthly publication with separate editions for the grocery and drug trades, and was experimenting with a listener sheet to be distributed free to every home in the city. "CHUM, The Retailer's Friend", consisted largely of merchandising information about products in these two fields, advertised over the station.
Neil LaRoy and Nancy Graham were added to CHUM's special features staff. Alf Stanton was now handling CHUM's music department. He had been with CKEY.
In the spring, a fire in the Hermant Building’s basement forced CHUM off the air for a time. Phone service was lost and the program feed from the studios to the transmitter site was cut. Station staff jumped into action and set up a temporary studio at the transmitter building. Programming resumed the following day from the temporary studio location.
R. T. Fulford announced his retirement as president of York Broadcasters Ltd. John H. Part, secretary-treasurer, was elected president having withdrawn from Mason’s United Advertisers Agency Ltd. Fulford would take up the post of vice-president of York Broadcasters. Part would remain president of Mason Remedies Ltd. and International Associated Products Ltd.
Later in the year, Rolly Ford was appointed manager of CHUM. He had been commercial manager and would continue in that role as well.
CHUM was erecting a new building on Mutual Street near Carlton. It was hoped the station would move in to the new facility, early in 1947.
Johnny Lombardi began his broadcasting career at CHUM. The future owner of CHIN Radio hosted a Sunday afternoon program.
There was a fire in the Hermant Building, home of CHUM. The fire cut off all phone communications and completely severed the lines between the studios and East York transmitter site. The following day, staff were able to set up an emergency studio and broadcast directly from the transmitter site. When the BUP newswire failed, threatening the station's scheduled hourly newscasts, news editor Fred Wilson went to BUP's office and phoned flashes to the transmitter site as they came over the wires. The information was taken down by shorthand and transcribed for the announcers.
Bob Martin was an announcer. Roland Koster was an operator. Fred Wilson was news editor.
The CHUM sales department was reorganized. Gerry Purcell and Bill Slade were placed in charge of all business for national accounts. Both were recent army discharges. Traffic officer Vern Page hosted a Sunday afternoon safety broadcast on CHUM.
R.T. Fulford announced his retirement as president of York Broadcasters Ltd. John H. Part, secretary-treasurer was elected president, having withdrawn from Mason's United Advertisers Agency Ltd. Fulford would take up the post of vice-president of York Broadcasters while Part remained as president of Mason Remedies Ltd. and International Associated Products Ltd.
Al Leary, former part owner and managing director of CHUM, opened a new office in San Francisco where he would represent Canadian radio stations and publications in California, Oregon and Washington.
CHUM was erecting a new office and studio complex on Mutual Street, near Carlton. It was expected to be ready for use in 1947.
Passengers on all flights of American Airlines at Toronto were provided with last minute sports scores courtesy of the CHUM newsroom.
Commercial manager Rolly Ford was appointed manager of CHUM. He entered radio in 1930 at CJCJ Calgary. He also worked at the Vancouver Sun, CJOR Vancouver and the National Film Board and served with the RCAF. Ford joined the CHUM sales staff earlier this year and was then appointed commercial manager. As manager, he would continue on in the commercial manager role. Harry sayers, formerly with "Marketing", was appointed public relations director for CHUM.
CHUM's new building was expected to be open for business around March 17. Centrally located on Mutual Street at Granby, one block from Maple Leaf Gardens, the new facility contained a spacious auditorium. The main enterence led right into the auditorium. The studios were in the main part of the building and offices were in the wings on either side.
CHUM was offering listeners up to $5.00 for the best news story sent in for "Tele-Flash News".
Bill Lennox joined the CHUM announce staff. Vern Hill joined the CHUM announce staff from CHML in Hamilton. Joan Orr joined the CHUM sales department from CKLN Nelson where she was manager.
In early May, CHUM manager Rolly Ford, announced the station hoped to move into its new building later in the month. The building was one-story, had a frontage of 102 feet and a depth of 89 feet. It had a basement and provision for a second floor.
The CHUM studios and offices moved to the Fulpart Building, 225 Mutual Street at Granby in Toronto. The name Fulpart represented R. T. Fulford and John (Jack) H. Part. The impressive new one-storey building incorporated many of the latest developments in studio design. The location was later sold to RCA Studios and the failing radio station settled for less imposing quarters at 250 Adelaide Street West.
Dick MacDougal left for the CBC. Bill Pring (operator) left CHUM for CKNX in Wingham. Dennis Olorenshaw joined CHUM as publicity director.
CHUM had an FM mobile unit.
The CBC Board recommended for approval, CHUM's application for an FM station (100.7 MHz, 3,200 watts, 204 feet above average terrain).
The CBC also recommended for approval, the transfer of 799 shares in York Broadcasters Ltd.
Ron McAllister hosted "Matter of Opinion".
The CBC Board approved a change of operating hours for the FM station. This would enable CHUM-FM to have a full broadcasting schedule which had to date been restricted by the day only hours of CHUM-AM.
CHUM introduced a profit-sharing plan for its employees. The plan would give employees from five to 25% of their annual payroll earnings with the actual percentage being determined by the station's total sales volume rather than on net profits.
Ted Root was the new commentator on Spotlight Sports Parade. Some on-air names and programs: Michael Hopkins (City Hall News), Stephen Trent (Blightly Calling - Saturdays), Larry Mann (Larry's Coffe Shop - 6:45 to 9:00 a.m.), Our Town (2:30 to 3:00 p.m.), Holiday Newsreel (6-7 p.m.) and For Men Only (Saturdays). Phil Stone was sports director and announcer. He came to the station on February 1. Adele Evans hosted a program of children's stories and was known as Aunt Susan. Bob Hall and Verne Hill were on the announce staff. Aurele Boisvert was chief engineer. Ken Smith and Mel Lovell were operators.
Slogan: More local advertisers use CHUM than ALL other Toronto stations combined! CHUM gets results!
Mike Hopkins left CHUM to become manager of the new CKLB (formerly CKDO) in Oshawa. Al Collins, another former CHUM employee, would be president and general manager of the Oshawa station.
Gord Atkinson brought his Bing Crosby program over to CHUM from CFRB. He also became the station's record librarian. Chuck Cook joined CHUM's announce staff from WEBR in Buffalo. He had worked in Western Canadian radio before moving to the U.S. Don Macleod left CHUM to become commercial manager at CKNW in New Westminster. Vern Hill read news. Leigh Stubbs was program director. John Cleary was an announcer. Phil Stone was sports director. Mel Lovell was an engineer. Harry Rasky was news editor. He left CHUM news for the CKEY news department. Former CHUMer Bill Todd had also joined CKEY. The Johnny Lombardi Show was on CHUM. Josh King was on-air at the station.
Jack Part announced the appointment of Bob Lee as CHUM's manager. Lee had been the station's commercial manager and succeeded Rolly Ford who entered the selling field.
Adele Evans known on-air as Aunt Susan, hosted a daily children's program on CHUM. Former commercial manager Don Macleod was named manager of KATY in San Luis Obispo, California.
Roy Green joined CHUM as an operator. He had been with CHNO Sudbury.
Wendy Paige (Leigh Stubbs) was women's commentator.
Gord Atkinson left CHUM for Ottawa's CFRA. Roy Green was named chief operator of CHUM. Bob Lee was manager.
Late in the year, CHUM made a change to its format. The only dusk-to-dawn station in the country could not afford big names like the larger Toronto stations so decided to have no names at all...just quiet melodic music, with occasional broadcasts not of news but just the headlines.
The BBG approved the transfer of 40,000 common shares in York Broadcasters Ltd.
Stan Edwards became special events director.
Roy Partridge joined CHUM's announcing staff. He had been with CKCK Regina and CJOB Winnipeg.
Jack Part, president of Adrem Ltd. and CHUM Radio, stepped down in favour of Allan F. Waters. Part would spend more time with Adrem Ltd. in the U.S. and abroad. Waters would preside over CHUM which would continue to be managed by Bob Lee. He would also concern himself with the domestic side of Adrem Ltd.
READ ARTICLE HERE: http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index3